Monday, January 25, 2010

Preparing for AT hike.

Well my nephew Mikey and I are only about four months out from leaving for our Appalachian Trail hike. I plan to spend this time making preparations. The biggest thing about backpacking is carrying 35-40 pounds on your back 10-12miles a day, 8-10 hours a day. I need to build up my upper body strength to be able to last a week on the trail for up to two weeks. As goofy as it will look, I intend to walk all over Williams wearing my fully loaded backpack every night for a couple of miles. We need to gather our gear together and find out what each of us needs to get. I have backpacks, forks, spoons, stove, sleeping bags, and mats for each of us. We will need to plan our food to last between resupply points. The first point is almost 35 miles up the trail. We will pack Ramen Noodles, bagels, peanut butter, oatmeal, trail mix, and Beef Jerky. These items are light, easy to carry and takes little in the way of cooking. Bon Apetit. We had originally planned to take the Greyhound to Georgia, but Glorias brother has volunteered to take us straight to the trailhead, and then Gloria and Mikeys mom will pick us up in North Carolina when we finish. I will keep you up to date on our preparations, and then will blog by mobile every day during the hike.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Now why would you think walking around Williams in with your backpack on would look weird? I have seen stranger things in Williams. I can hear people now, "Oh that's just Ron, he's the local hiker". It will be completely commonplace after two days. LOL I am sure you will have a great time. No Gloria on this trip?

    ReplyDelete

Followers